Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday service

I just loved the service today! It was just so special.
I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but I like to call the Arendal Methodist church a singing congregation. The first time I was there in 2008, everyone asked me if I am a singing kind of a person. They all wanted to invite to the their congregations gospel choir. I had to say no, of course. But yeah, they are a singing congregation. They have the gospel choir, then a senior choir, children's choir and also family choir projects from time to time. They have this amazing composer in the church, Stein Jonassen. And he really is AMAZING - literally!
Anyway, the church is having the topic of "more abundant life" the next five weeks and Stein was asked to compose a song for it. Of course, he did. So we sang it today in the church. We also had children in the beginning of service and so we had tons of songs and learnt a scripture all together from Mt 7:7. When it was time for the children to go downstairs to Sunday school, the congregations sang a song about it too (I actually took pics of the lyrics, because I think it was so cool). The lyrics say that come to the Sunday school, we'll talk about Daddy in the heaven etc. Really cool! Never heard a song like that before :)
The most powerful part for me was the ending of the service today. Stein had decided that we are going to sing during the prelude and postlude today. And the postlude song was just AMAZING! It was his song and it was a prayer for Norway. I just so wish I could add a link of it, but it's not out there. But anyway, it was really great and when I would try to compare it with something, Estonians can compare it with our song "Palve" that is written by Tõnis Mägi.
What am I trying to say here? Today I really felt that sermon is not the only part of the service that matters. Sometimes the other parts of the service can touch us in a way that we cannot explain. So be open, listen to God! He talks through a lot of things :) We just have to notice it!
Hope your Sunday service was a great experience too :)
Grete

No comments: